Excel/Pivot table, value field setting : How to output the absolute value (or max or min of the absolute value)

In either excel 2003, 2007 or 2010

I have negative and positive data in a pivot table.
I would like to output the max of the absolute value in the simplest way.

Using value field setting, i can show the max or min, but not the max(abs()). I cant find a way of doing it within the pivot table.

I don't think you can do this directly in the pivot table, but you CAN create another field in the source data to return the abs value and then use THIS in the pivot table - I'm more than happy to be corrected if anyone else knows different of course!!!
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!