Excel/Total Categories with Automatic Update

Hi Aiden,

I am working on a spreadsheet for my budget and would like to total the categories.  How can I do this so that my totals will update if I add in additional rows.  I have my  Category  (Groceries) in column B5:B11, and my Sub-Category (Business Name -where I purchase my groceries) in column C5:C11.  What formula can I use so the totals will update as I add in more purchases?

I'm not quite sure what you want to total - could you clarify?  If it helps, you can mail me directly at which would allow you to send me a sample file - I'm guessing it's something like a sumif or sum over an entire column (eg =sum(b:b)  would sum everything in column B)
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!