Excel/warning for a date older than 6 months

QUESTION: hi there

i am currently working with alot of pricing, i would like to write a formula for some sort of warning to appear should a price be older than 6 months.

ANSWER: Try This,

=IF(DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"m")>=6,"Over  6 Months","")

QUESTION: hi there

i have just tried this formula, however, if i put a date in thats older than 6 months from today for instance, it pops up with the #value error, and if i have no date in whatsoever, it has the warning in it.

pls help.

The only reason you would get a #value error is if the value entered was not a date. This revised formula should fix your follow up question.

=IFERROR(IF(A1="","",IF(DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"m")>=6,"Over  6 Months","")),"Value entered is not a date")
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Dave Morrison

I can answer most excel questions My Website is

I have been working with spreadsheets since 1991. I am a self-trained excel developer since 2005.

My website

Business admin. U of R.

Microsoft Excel MVP 2011-2012