Excel/Calculating Months Excel 2007

Question
I have 2 variables; Effective Date in Column A & Duration in Column B.
I have a project that starts 1/1/2013 and has a duration of 36 months:
Column C needs to show 12 for the active months in Calendar Year 13.
Column D needs to show 12 for the active months in Calendar Year 14.
Column E needs to show 12 for the active months in Calendar Year 15.

My projects will never go over 36 months, but could be less i.e.:

I have a project that starts 6/1/2013 and runs for 18 months.
Column C should show 7 for the active months in Calendar Year 13.
Column D should show 11 for the active months in Calendar Year 14.
Column E would be zero.

What would the formulas be in Column C, D, & E for my many projects with many Effective Dates and durations?

Answer
Gene
If I am understanding your criteria parameters your formulas would look like this--

cell C3  IF(12-MONTH(A3)+1<12,12-MONTH(A3)+1,12)
cell D3  IF(B3-C3>=12,12,B3-C3)
cell E3  IF(B3-C3-D3>=12,12,+B3-C3-D3)
cell F3  IF(B3-C3-D3-E3>=12,12,+B3-C3-D3-E3)

You should be able to copy and paste these directly to your sheet.
A caution--the formula MONTH(A3) will yield the month of the date that is within the cell A3, so if the date is 6/1/13 the month is 6, if the date is 5/31/13 the month is 5, so in this formula one day can make a one month difference in the way it calculates.  If your start dates are all on the first of a month then all is okay, but if they are not then a problem could arise.

Hope this works for you.

Richard
Florida
USA
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Richard Roberts