Excel/COUNTIF Problem

I used LOOKUP to populate a name into a cell.  I'd like to use COUNTIF to see if the name in the cell appears within a separate range of cells.  Although the name does appear in one of the cells in the range, COUNTIF returns 0.

I tried to exclude extra characters using LEN, and CLEAN, but still get 0.

Any other suggestions?

Hi Brian,

Have you tried the TRIM function as well?
Also, TRIM and CLEAN don't remove all possible characters, like char(160). Edit a couple of the names, see if there are any leading or trailing characters that perhaps look like a space but aren't.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Jan Karel Pieterse

Excel and Excel/VBA questions

Excel MVP

Self employed Excel developer

Bachelor in Chemical Engineering

Microsoft MVP award since 2002

Shell, Fortis bank, ABN-AMRO bank, Morgan Stanley, ...