Excel/Date Formulas

Creating a spreadsheet to track Air Force fitness test. Need to be able to calculate a due date, based on the the month a fitness test was taken, however, it is always due 12 months later by the last day of the month.

Example if someone tests on Jul 1, 2012, the next test is due by Jul 31, 2013. If someone tests on Feb 1, 2011, then the next test is due by Feb 29, 2012 (since leap year).

Zack -

Fortunately, there is a formula for this: EOMONTH(). It takes any date you enter and calculates ahead the number of months (in your case, 12), and returns the end of month date. It will give you the end of month date even if the date you enter is not the beginning of the month. Examples:

You enter:    formula is:     It returns:
1/1/12        =EOM(A1,12)     1/31/13
2/1/11        =EOM(A2,12)     2/29/12
3/27/12       =EOM(A3,12)     3/31/13

The function is EOMONTH(START_DATE, MONTHS). START_DATE is the cell that contains the date you want to calculate from. MONTHS is the number of months out to calculate.

Please let me know if this is not clear - Andrea
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Andrea Lynch

I am very familiar with teaching excel concepts, and formulas. I am not as capable with VBA questions.

I currently tutor in this area. I worked for four years developing curriculum and teaching Microsoft applications to adult audiences. I also previously volunteered for allexperts.com.

BA, English, Western Washington University Certificates in C Programming, ASP.NET, VisualBasic.NET, University of Washington Extension

Rated in the top ten instructors (national), New Horizons Computer Learning Center.