Excel/should be easy

Question
Occasionally when I hit CR to exit a cell with a formula in it (like:  =A1*B1) it leaves the formula visible (like a pasted value: "A1*B1").  Then it won't compute. I don't want that.  What am I doing wrong?

Answer
Paul
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "hit CR".
If you are refering to the enter key, then perhaps you are somehow changing the formula from a formula to text.  If the = or plus sign has been removed from the formula or you have inadvertantly put a space in front of the formula (or any other text) then the formula will appear in the cell but it won't compute, because it has been changed to text.
I mention the space because it won't show up and the formula will still look okay.  This is also true of an apostrophe.  The apostrophe won't show in the cell if it is entered before the formula (it will show in the formula bar).  Most likely you have entered a space.  To check it out go to the cell and put the cursor in the formula bar to the left of the = sign then hit the backspace key.  If there is a space there it will remove it.

Hope this helps

Richard
Florida
USA
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Richard Roberts