Excel/excel

Question
I'm not sure if my version of excel can handle this. I want to create a table with "names" column on the left and numbers columns on the right. It there any way to sort the numbers while also changing the order of the names? For example, steve, bill, mathew etc. column on the left and "bought x number of products" column on the right. when I sort the numbers the names are not reorganized along with the numbers.I have microsoft excel starter that I downloaded for free.

Answer
Hi Al,

You need to select both the columns in order to sort correctly. Assuming Names are stored in column 'A' and numbers are stored in column 'B', then follow the below setps:
1. Select Columns A and B (make sure you select both the columns)
2. Select Data -- Sort
3. In the dialog box, select Column B and click on ascending / descending as you need and then click ok.
4. You can also tell excel to sort first by numbers and then by names, ie. if there are 5 people who bought 100 units each, then excel will keep all 100's together and within that sort the 5 by their names.

Hope this helps.

Gulshan.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

GULSHAN PURSWANI