Excel/How can I do in Excel

I have an excel file (as timesheet) which I am using as data source for another excel files (man-hour record). I want to make such an arrangement as once the time is entered into the timesheet file I should have a button on the this file which pushes or inputs the data to man-hour file but each time a data is entered into man-hour file it must be entered as a new record with employee's info for example it must carry current date, employee name and ID with hours.

How can I do that?

Thanks  in advance for your help.

Hello Rizwan,

Thank you for your question and the opportunity to answer it.  It sounds like you might need a VBA solution since you want to press a button and update the Man Hour Record sheet once the Timesheet is updated.  VBA is not an area of my expertise, and I would encourage you to review the profiles of other experts here and submit your question to one of them who lists VBA as an area of their strength.

However, a non-VBA solution is possible.  The Man Hour Record sheet can be a summary sheet that pulls data from the Timesheet as the Timesheet is updated.  That can be done without VBA.

You can use Sum Functions on the Man Hour Record sheet to total the hours from the Timesheet as hours are entered for each employee.  Perhaps a Vlookup function might work, depending upon the layout of your data.

These are some areas I would look at to solve your issue.  Without seeing your sheets, the data it contains, and the exact layout of the data, I cannot give you specific formulas or functions to accomplish what you want to do.  However, I think either a Vlookup or a Sum Function should summarize the data on the Man Hour Record from the Timesheet.

Another possibility would be a Pivot Table.  A Pivot Table can even summarize the timesheet by both employee and dates (such as a week at a time) so that you can easily see the number of hours each employee worked in any given week.  This might be the way you need to go.

I hope I have pointed you in the right direction and helped you solve your problem.

Good luck!

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

David W. Cofer

I can answer MS Excel questions regarding Excel Formulas, Functions, Worksheets, Data Validation, Conditional Formating, Lookup, Pivot Tables and Logic Functions, as well as other general Excel questions. I do not answer questions regarding Charts, Macros, Visual Basic or Programming. Please include the version of Excel you are using. That helps me provide an answer that will work on your system. Also, do not submit duplicate questions to several experts at the same time. If several of us are answering the same question at the same time, it is a waste of time and resources. If the first expert you ask does not provide an acceptable answer, then ask a second expert. As we are volunteers, our time is valuable, and it is a waste of time for 5 of us to be working on the same question at the same time. Thanks for your understanding.

I have used MS Excel for over 20 years and am familiar with all versions back to 1993. I currently use Excel 2013 and assist those using versions going back to 2000. I use Excel extensively at both work and home.

I hold a B.A. degree in Psychology.