I have microsoft excel starter that I downloaded for free. I want to create a table with "names" column on the left and numbers columns on the right. It there any way to sort the numbers while also changing the order of the names? For example, steve, bill, mathew etc. column on the left and "bought x number of products" column on the right. when I sort the numbers the names are not reorganized along with the numbers.

Excel will sort a continuous table this way by default providing no data is selected OR all data is selected.  IF you have only one column of the table highlighted then excel will just sort this selection.

Hope this explains it but let me know if you need further help

(question taken from question pool)
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!