Excel/Excel 'if' formula

I am using Excel 2003 to create a database. This database contains named columns and dated rows. I am trying to use the 'if' command to create totals for each day. As there are between 1 and 5 or more rows of data entry pertaining to a single day, I was wondering if there was a way to incorporate a command which allows for variance of row/cell range in calculating the total for each day. Thanks for your time.
Biddy Roundhill

Hello Biddy,

Thank you for your question and the opportunity to answer it.

You can use an IF formula, but it would be rather cumbersome and in the Excel 2003 version you are limited to nesting an IF formula to only seven layers.  You needs might exceed this limitation.

I would recommend you use a pivot table to summarize your data by dates.  As I do not know what data you are accumulating or the columns involved, I cannot give you specific instructions.

Here is a link for instructions to create a pivot table in Excel 2003 in the event you are not familiar with Pivot Tables.

I would suggest your data first be formatted as a Table.  That way as you add dates and and data to the table they would automatically be included in the table.  That way you can refresh the Pivot Table and the new data will be incorporated into the Pivot Table automatically.

Once the Pivot Table is created, you can easily manipulate the Pivot Table to view your data by both date and other parameters as well.

I hope this has helped answer your question.  If you are still unclear or have additional questions regarding this issue, please let me know.

Good Luck with your spreadsheet!

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

David W. Cofer

I can answer MS Excel questions regarding Excel Formulas, Functions, Worksheets, Data Validation, Conditional Formating, Lookup, Pivot Tables and Logic Functions, as well as other general Excel questions. I do not answer questions regarding Charts, Macros, Visual Basic or Programming. Please include the version of Excel you are using. That helps me provide an answer that will work on your system. Also, do not submit duplicate questions to several experts at the same time. If several of us are answering the same question at the same time, it is a waste of time and resources. If the first expert you ask does not provide an acceptable answer, then ask a second expert. As we are volunteers, our time is valuable, and it is a waste of time for 5 of us to be working on the same question at the same time. Thanks for your understanding.

I have used MS Excel for over 20 years and am familiar with all versions back to 1993. I currently use Excel 2013 and assist those using versions going back to 2000. I use Excel extensively at both work and home.

I hold a B.A. degree in Psychology.