Excel/Excel Forward Compatibility

Question
David-

We have a complex Excel 2003 file to schedule our department that has been continuously updated since 2000.  The file contains no macros.  It works quite well in Excel 2003 and Excel 2007.  

When we try opening the file in Excel 2010, it indicates that "Excel found unreadable content.  Do you want to recover the content."  If we hit YES, the file opens, but loses most of its functionality.  We've re-installed Office 2010 to include all of its features, but it still doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-Brian

Answer
Hello Brian,

Thank you for your question and the opportunity to answer it.

I have a couple of solutions.  Hopefully one of them will work for you.  

By the way are you using a computer with Windows 7?  Other people have had this issue and it seems the one thing in common is that they were all trying to open the file on a computer with Windows 7 OS.  As I understand, the reason for this issue is Windows 7 performs an additional security scan that Windows XP and Windows Vista did not enforce.

Try Solution 1 First:

1. Copy/move the file to a WinXP or Vista computer
2. Open the file with Excel 2010 or Excel 2007
3. Save a copy of the file as either .xlsx or .xlsm  
4. Move the .xlsx (or .xlsm) file back to the Win7 computer
5. Try to open the .xlsx (or .xlsm) version

If that fails to work, try Solution 2:

1. Open the file in Excel 2003
2. Go to File: Save As
3. Change the Save As type to Web Page (.html), save and close the file
4. Open the .html file in Excel
5. Save the file as a .xls (with a new name so the original isn't lost)

I have not personally experienced either of these issues, so I cannot guarantee either solution will work, but they are worth a try.

If you try both of these solutions and still experience the issue, you might contact Microsoft Support or ask one of the other experts here for a different solution.

Hope this helps you.

David
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

David W. Cofer