Excel/Excel help

Question
I have four cells in excel that has the below drop values:

Cell A - Remote, Unlikely, Possible, Likely and Almost Certain

Cell B,C and D has the following values:
Insignificant, Minor, Moderate, Significant and Severe.

Every value is assigned 1 thro 5 numerical rating.

The user will select Cell A, then Cell B, C and D - I need to generate a consoidated output based on the selection.

For example,

Cell A - Possible (3)
Cell B-  Minor (2)
Cell C - Moderate (3)
Cell D - Moderate (3)

THe formula has to multiple Cell A to Cell B, Cell A to Cell C, Cell A to Cell D, determine which is greatest and display the value in Cell E.

Kindly help.

Answer
I've taken cell A as being A1, Cell B as A2, Cell C as A3 etc

=MAX(VLOOKUP(A2,Table2,2,FALSE),VLOOKUP(A3,Table2,2,FALSE),VLOOKUP(A4,Table2,2,FALSE))*VLOOKUP(A1,Table1,2,FALSE)

Table1 is a 2 cell by 5 cell array which contains the text values Remote, Unlikely, Possible, Likely and Almost Certain in the first column and the numeric in the second - table2 is a similar array but with the insignifican etc values in the first and the equivalent number in the second.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Aidan Heritage