Excel/Excel spreadsheet

I'm trying to get it where you enter in a part number it automatically enters in the amount so for example....
In Column A row 1 I have part # P2 and In Column B row 1... I have the amount of P2 which would be $34.23...How can I get it where in column D if I type in P2 then enter...it will automatically enter in the amount of $34.23. Please Advise. Thanks so much!

assuming that the costs exist in a table, then a vlookup function would do the job - you would need to enter the formula (and if this is to have a lot of entries, you would need to have it set up waiting in the other rows) along the lines of

I would suggest amending a:b to the actual range that contains the prices rather than refering to the entire column as this would otherwise do.  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!