Excel/Formula in Excel calculating when US Markets would open

I was wondering if there was a way to write out a formula in Excel displaying the time when the US Markets would open. I understand that it would have to take into account weekends being closed and certain national holidays. Again if this isn't possible or even practical, would there be a way for it to import the times from external sources (such as the internet like through yahoo finance?)

Thank you,

ANSWER: I'm missing something. It's 9:00 AM. No formula necessary.

QUESTION: Oh no, not like that, more of the difference from the time now and when the markets would open, i.e. today is Saturday 12:00 PM and markets open on Monday at 9:30 AM, the cell would show 'Markets are closed, they will open in 1 day 21 hours 30 minutes'.
I tried various times to get the formula to work but there was an issue with the formula only showing 6 hours and 1 minute, regardless of the time of the date. Would pasting my formula here help you out with seeing what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you,

There will be an Excel User Conference May 1-3 in California. There are 3 instructors: Bob Umlas(me) (an Excel MVP), Tom Urtis (an Excel MVP), and Szilvia Juhasz (an Excel trainer).
The location is either San Francisco or Los Angeles, still working out details. Please email me at if you think you may be interested and I will follow up with you when the details are known, including which city, agenda, cost, etc. Please use subject of "EUC Interest" in the email. Hope to see you there!

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Bob Umlas

I`m a Microsoft Excel MVP (Most Valuable Professional) and have been since the inception of the program in 1995. I can answer every kind of Excel question except: API, Importing/exporting to other programs (powerpoint, word,...) Also check out my in-person training link at

Worked with MS Excel since version 0.99 (on the Mac!). Was contributing editor to Excellence Magazine, having written >300 articles. John Walkenbach said of me "I finally met someone who knows as much about Excel as I do."

Excellence, The Expert, Microsoft

BA in math, Hofstra University, 1965

Led sessions for the Convergence 2004-2006 seminar on Excel tips & tricks