Excel/Hlookup using a named range

Good day Aidan,

I'm tying to return the column number of a search using the MATCH function by using a named range.

Cell A1 is named "TAX" and contains the value 5%

I want to search "TAX" in a given range in a different sheet and return its column number.
Something along this (obviously, the formula doesn't work!):

=MATCH(INDIRECT(A1),'Tax Table'!$A$1:$AJ$1,0)

Can you help?
Thank you for your support.

Indirect converts the contents of a cell to a reference, BUT in this instance it sounds like that isn't what you want to do - but I'm a bit confused about what you DO want to do!  Searching for the word tax would be

=MATCH(IA1,'Tax Table'!$A$1:$AJ$1,0)

for example - it might help to see a file (or a sample one) - my email is
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!