Excel/Indexing

Question
I am trying to use the index and the match function.

Assume field A1 and B1 with the values as shown below

=INDEX({"1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9","10"},MATCH(E27,{"Remote","Unlikely","Possible","Likely","Almost Certain"},FALSE)*MATCH(F27,{"Insignificant","Minor","Moderate","Significant","Severe"},FALSE))

If i click on "Remote" and the values in B1 , it displays correctly 1,2,3,4,5

But, if i click the next one "Unlikely" and values in B1 , it displays 2,4,6,8,10 - i would like it to display 6,7,8,9,10 (Please note that the intention is not to display numbers 6 through 10 but to display whatever is in that place)

Can you please let me know what should be modified so i get what i want?

Answer
Raj:

I suggest the following function...

=INDEX({"1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9","10"},(MATCH(E27,{"Remote","Unlikely","Possible","Likely","Almost Certain"},FALSE)-1)*5+MATCH(F27,{"Insignificant","Minor","Moderate","Significant","Severe"},FALSE))

Of course, it won't work once you get to Possible; however, I presume you already knew you needed more values in the first part of the INDEX (25 total).

Please remove to donate if this response solved your problem!
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Nathan