Excel/Linking Password Protected Workbooks

I've seen it said that you cannot linked password protected workbooks but I'm hoping the person that posted that, just didn't know how to do it.

I have three workbooks used by different teams in the same department.  The 'Master' workbook pulls back data a2 through r400 from WB 'Raw Data' and s2 through w400 from WB 'Review.'

All three of these workbooks are used by different teams (Quality for Master, Accounts for Raw Data, Review for Review) which is why they're password protected.

Is there anyway to NOT have to put in the password for the fields on Master to automatically update?

Hello Ginger,

Thank you for your question and the opportunity to answer it.

Yes, you can link password protected workbooks.  However, when you want to update the Master workbook, you will need to enter the passwords for the source workbooks.  So, no, there is not a way to avoid entering the password for the other workbooks to automatically update the fields in the Master workbook.

However, it is possible to open the other workbooks with a macro in the Master workbook that contains the passwords for the other two workbooks.  However, VBA is not an area of my expertise, so I cannot provide you code to write that macro.  One of the other experts here who advertises VBA knowledge and experience should be able to provide that code.

Hope this helped.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

David W. Cofer

I can answer MS Excel questions regarding Excel Formulas, Functions, Worksheets, Data Validation, Conditional Formating, Lookup, Pivot Tables and Logic Functions, as well as other general Excel questions. I do not answer questions regarding Charts, Macros, Visual Basic or Programming. Please include the version of Excel you are using. That helps me provide an answer that will work on your system. Also, do not submit duplicate questions to several experts at the same time. If several of us are answering the same question at the same time, it is a waste of time and resources. If the first expert you ask does not provide an acceptable answer, then ask a second expert. As we are volunteers, our time is valuable, and it is a waste of time for 5 of us to be working on the same question at the same time. Thanks for your understanding.

I have used MS Excel for over 20 years and am familiar with all versions back to 1993. I currently use Excel 2013 and assist those using versions going back to 2000. I use Excel extensively at both work and home.

I hold a B.A. degree in Psychology.