Excel/Obtaining data from date range 1.7.2012 and 13.11.2012

Question
Dear Tom

I am currently going to Custom equal or greater than 1.7.2012 and less than or equal to 13.11.2012. But it wont filter the unrequested dates of workshops before 1.7.2012
Please explain how I obtain the number of staff who have attended  workshops held between 15.7.2012 and 13.11.2012 (Australian dates).
regards
Annette

Answer
Hello Annette,

if the cells actually contain dates, then you can do

=countif(A:A,">=1.7.2012")-countif(A:A,">13.11.2012")

I am in the US so using US notation, this worked for me:  =COUNTIF(A:A,">=07/01/2012")-COUNTIF(A:A,">11/13/2012")

It is equivalent to what I suggested.  I don't know what the Australian version of Excel recognizes as a date, but if it recognizes your notation, what I suggested should work.

If you actually want 15.7.2012 then

=countif(A:A,">=15.7.2012")-countif(A:A,">13.11.2012")

Guess I should have mentioned that for purposes of giving an illustrative formula, I am assuming the column of dates is in column A.

--
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy