Excel/protection in Excel 2010

Question
Dear Tom,

In Excel 2003 I have made a file which is protected with a password for "write access". But there is also a possibility to open the file as "read only".

In Excel 2010 I could only found a way to protect with a password [password need to be filled in once you open it], but without an option of "read only". Is it possible to make this "read only" protection in Excel 2010 files. If yes, what are the steps to bring this protection to the file.

Thanks.

Bas Klijn

Answer
Bas,

When you go to save the workbook, you will get the save as dialog

There you can specify the location and file name.  At the bottom are two buttons.

Save
Cancel

but to the left of the Save button is the word tools.  This is also a button, but it doesn't appear as a button so it is easily missed.  It had a down arrow next to the word tools.  Click on the down arrow and you will get choices.  One of the choices is General Options.

If you click on that, you have a dialog for entering passwords for

Password to Open:
Password to Modify:

There is also a check box for read-only recommended.  

these are the same options that have been available for Excel files in all the versions I am familiar with, so you should be able to do what you want here.

--
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy