Excel/Changing cell colour based on value

Question
Good morning

I have an Excel sheet in which I have a cell with a DropDown list containing 3 choices. They are LOW MEDIUM and HIGH.

I would like the cell color to change based on which of the three choices the user makes.

If the User select LOW, I would like LOW displayed in cell with the cell background turning to Green. MEDIUM would be Yellow and HIGH Red.

Using Excel 2010

can this be done? I have gone through the Conditional Formatting option but I can't see how to change the background based of a TEXT value.

Thank you

Answer
I assume you're using a data validation drop-down list. In that case, conditional formatting certainly DOES work with the list of values. Just specify the "highlight cells" rule and set the background color.

Be sure to visit my web site and watch my FREE 90-minute Microsoft Excel Video Tutorial

Cordially,
Richard Rost
599CD Computer Training  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Richard Rost