Excel/Combining Validation List and Autofilter

Question
Hello,

I successfully used your VBA code to use a value I selected from in a validation list to use as a auto-filter.  The VBA code is below:

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim r As Range
If Target.Address = "$AA$1" Then
  Set r = Me.AutoFilter.Range
If Len(Trim(Target.Value)) > 0 Then
r.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:=Range("AA1").Value
Else
r.AutoFilter Field:=1
End If
End If
End Sub

My question is can I change the column that the the value selected from the validation list is auto-filtering? For example I have a header row with 8 columns, all of which have autofilter.  The auto-filter I would like to use is in the second column. not the first.

Answer
Enrique Garcia,

In the code,

Dim r As Range
If Target.Address = "$AA$1" Then
 Set r = Me.AutoFilter.Range
If Len(Trim(Target.Value)) > 0 Then
Else
r.AutoFilter Field:=1
End If
End If
End Sub

the Field:=1  determines which column in the range being filtered will have the filter applied to it.  So you would change this to a 2 if you want to use the second column in that range.

Dim r As Range
If Target.Address = "$AA$1" Then
 Set r = Me.AutoFilter.Range
If Len(Trim(Target.Value)) > 0 Then
r.AutoFilter Field:=2, Criteria1:=Range("AA1").Value
Else
r.AutoFilter Field:=2
End If
End If
End Sub

--
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy