I have two spreadsheets.  One is call Staff and has approx. 2000 staff members with their school name.  The other, Summary, has a summary of the 58 schools and next to it a countif formula =countif(Staff!$C$2:$C$2000,"1"), this is in column C.  What I would like to do is not change the criteria every time to the school name.  Is there a way to make "1" a formula?  I have reentered the school name in column A of the Summary sheet.  Thanks.

I am not sure what the "1" significes - if it is a placeholder and you type in the school name, then  yes, you can replace that with a cell reference.

assume this formula will be placed in cell C2 and the school name is in A2

should give the count for that school if the school  names are in column C on the Staff sheet.

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.