Excel/Excel attendance tracking

I'm trying to add something to a spreadsheet that will allow me to track weekly attendance to a Sunday worship service. I'm envisioning something that when clicked on would pop up either a calendar like item with only Sunday's listed where I could then select a date to have it add a check mark to that date.

If not, I could separate it onto another tab as a separate spreadsheet. If this is the route to go, is there a way to add in a date and then expand it horizontally and have it autofill the next sundays rather than manually typing in the dates in each individual cell?

if I enter 1/6/2013 (a sunday)  in cell A1,  and  1/13/2013 (the next sunday) in the next cell, then select both cells and drag fill in the same direction (down if they were in the same column - second sunday in A2 or to the right if they were in the same row - second sunday in B1), then Excel will understand the pattern established and enter just Sundays as you drag.

So it would seem easy to say have the names start in A2 and fill in Sundays from B1 to the right, then you can just type an X at the intersection.  If you did that and select B2 and under the view tab you select Freeze panes, then the first column and first row would be frozen when you scrolled and you could always position the column you are working on next to the names in column A.

If you want a pop up, that would require macro code.

An alternate way to generate the Sundays would be to put the date where you want is, say A1 and then in B1 put in  =A1+7 and format the cell as a date.

then drag fill to the right.   Dates are stored as the number of days from the beginning of 1900.  So adding a 7 will give you the date a week later.

If that doesn't answer the question, post back with what specifically I missed.

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.