Excel/Excel file password forgotten recovery

Question
Dear Expert,

I am trying to open one of my files that I protected around 2 years ago.When ever I open it It is asking for password.please share any trick to recover the forgotten password.

Looking for your kind help.

Thanks
Navin

Answer
Hi Navin,

I have had success in the past with commercial password resetting software.  Of course, this is something you will have to purchase, but most such products provide a guarantee.  Here is a link to one of the more popular products that retails for $39:

http://www.lostpassword.com/excel.htm

There are a lot of products advertised to perform this function on the web, and I'm sure you can find something less expensive.

I have had instances where the recovery software only partially recovered the Excel file, but this was long ago and I suspect that the commercial products have improved significantly.

I do recommend that when you password-protect anything you write down the password in a secure place whose location you are sure to remember.

Good luck.

Damon

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Damon Ostrander