Excel/Macro Excel 2007

I am trying to edit and remove the letter portion of a number-letter combination that is in series of rows, for example:
1.2A  -5.4C   8.7A   12.8A
4.6D   8.2A   6.1C    4.3B

I would like the end result from the macro to be only numbers, as in:

1.2    -5.4   8.7    12.8
4.6     8.2   6.1     4.3

Without the letter portion of the numbers I will be able to perform some analysis of the data.

There are many rows, so a macro to accomplish this task would be very helpful. Is there any hope for a Excel 2007 macro to accomplish this task? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jim G.

Jim G.

Select the cells to process then run a macro like this (test it on a copy of your worksheet)

Sub removeletter()
Dim cell As Range, s As String
For Each cell In Selection
 If Len(Trim(cell)) > 1 Then
   s = Right(cell.Text, 1)
   If Not IsNumeric(s) Then
     cell.Value = Left(cell.Text, Len(cell.Text) - 1)
   End If
 End If
End Sub

worked for me with the data you show.

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.