Excel/Macro- Moving data from Word to Excel

Question
Hello,

I just started a tax internship that has made me aware that I could use some specific macros to make data entry easier. I have limited, basic knowledge about excel macros and do not understand the code as much as I would like to in order to be able to create the macro that I need. I have however used simple macros for jobs that are not very complicated and understand the concept and am very willing to learn.
The macro that I would need to learn how to write should be able to retrieve data(numbers), from a word document and put them into specific cells in an excel workbook to be used for calculations. The tricky part, (for me)is that there is one excel file per word document and this has to be repeated for each different excel file and word document. There is one excel file per city and this macro would have replicate this task for each individual spreadsheet and
word document. I understand how to move data from one word doc. to one spreadsheet and I do know that there must be some kind of looping sequence that will communicate this action to be repeated for each city but I have no idea what the code would look like.
The information is confidential so I unfortunately cannot email any files.
I would appreciate any tips, knowledge on code, tricks, that will help me to possibly make this data entry task easier/quicker and apologized for my lack of knowledge on the subject.

Thank you so much.
Ken

Answer
Hello Ken,

I would approach this in 2 stages:
1. First create a macro to open one word document and move the data to an excel file as per your requirement. As per my understanding, you have this part figured out.
2. Once you have the macro for step 1, you can add a loop to open a list of file:
  2.1 save a list of word files and corresponding excel files in a sheet.
  2.2 add a loop to the beginning of macro in step 1 --- For File id = 1 to xxx, (your macro), loop.

This is just one of the many ways to achieve what you need.

If you can share your macro and your word / excel (after replacing the confidential data with dummy data), I can help you better. Mail to - gulshanrajpurswani@gmail.com.

Hope this helps.

Gulshan.  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

GULSHAN PURSWANI