Excel/Sheet name change implication

Hello JP,

I have a workbook in excel with a lot of sheets. The answer sheet shows workings done in 3 other sheets. If i change the name of the  3 sheets will the values in the answer sheet still be okay?

Taha Ali.

(question found in question pool) - as long as the sheets are all on the same workbook then there is no issue - excel will update the references to the old name with the new name, in the same way as if you delete or insert cells onto a workbook - hope this helps.  IF the summary sheet is in a different workbook, you would need to ensure both workbooks are open before making the change - at this point, excel will again adjust the references.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!