Excel/Single digit number split into two digits

I need G3 to appear as 06 and subsequently I need H3 to appear as 0, which would then make I3 display 5.

Please download the spreadsheet here:

For Cell G3, go to format cells, click on custom and in the format field enter 00. This will make the cell format as "00" and 6 will start appearing as 06.

Now in cell H3, give the following formula - =LEFT((TEXT(G3,"00")),1). This should give you result as 0.

Additional information:

Actually, the formula in H3 will work even if you don't set up G3 as "00" formatting. That's because the formula in H3 is doing that job.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if there are any other issues.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

I can answer questions related to the following topics: 1. MS Excel - Creating and Linking Formulae, Running Pivot Tables, Vlookup etc. 2. Macros / VBA - Creating Macros to do specific jobs. Importing / Exporting / Validating Data in excel through Macros.

I've been working on excel for over 10 years and on VBA macros for over 3 years now.

Bachelor of Commerce, Chartered Accountant from The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India