Excel/sliding scale for menu

if one litre of soup is enough from one to six persons and two litres is enough for 7-12 persons. if i enter the number of persons to have soup in cell A1 then i would like the answer to reflect in B1. for example if A1 is between 1 and 6 then B1=1, if A1 is between 7 and 12  then B1 should reflect 2.

I'm not 100% sure this would be possible based on the text method you describe, but IF we were only dealing with one item (i.e soup) I'd advise a vlookup table which contained the lowest number of persons that would be served per litre in the first column and the number of litres in the second.  BUT I suspect we have mutiple items which you need to handle, so the formula would get more complex - I'm thinking it's PROBABLY a multiple condition sumif which would eventually arrive at a single value - do you have an example sheet at all (I'm guessing you may have been trying to figure this for a while) - if so, I could use this to try to come up with a working formula - you can get me by email at
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!