Excel/SUMIF and SUBTOTAL combined??

Hi Bob

Tom Ogilvy suggested I ask you this question.

I am trying to find a formula to go at the top of Column P that will add up the values in column N, if the text "PTC" appears in column P.  Now I know I can do this with a SUMIF, (sumif(P:P,"PTC",N:N)  but as I am using filters a lot on this spreadsheet, to isolate specific customers, what would be really useful would be the Subtotal 9 formula, which sums only what is in the filtered section.  Is there anyway of combining these two functions?

Don't use entire columns (P:P), but you can increase the 1000 if you need.

This comes from my book "Excel Outside the Box", Page 62.

There will be an Excel User Conference May 1-3, 2013 in Las Vegas (most likely). There are 3 instructors: Bob Umlas(me) (an Excel MVP), Tom Urtis (an Excel MVP), and Szilvia Juhasz (an Excel trainer).  Please email me here if you think you may be interested and I will follow up with you when the details are known, including hotel, agenda, cost, etc. Please use subject of "EUC Interest" in the email. Hope to see you there!

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Bob Umlas

I`m a Microsoft Excel MVP (Most Valuable Professional) and have been since the inception of the program in 1995. I can answer every kind of Excel question except: API, Importing/exporting to other programs (powerpoint, word,...) Also check out my in-person training link at

Worked with MS Excel since version 0.99 (on the Mac!). Was contributing editor to Excellence Magazine, having written >300 articles. John Walkenbach said of me "I finally met someone who knows as much about Excel as I do."

Excellence, The Expert, Microsoft

BA in math, Hofstra University, 1965

Led sessions for the Convergence 2004-2006 seminar on Excel tips & tricks