Excel/Time Difference

Question
Hi Tom,

Happy New Year... I have a doubt on time.. In A1 I have date 01/01/2012 and B1 I have time as 08:21 pM (this is the time captured on that date).

On A2 date as 01/02/2012 and B2 time as 10:15 AM.

Is there any formula to check the time has crossed 24 hours or not.. Kindly help me out in this issue. Thanks.

Answer
Jayendran,

Are you asking if 24 hours have elapsed between the two date/time combinations.  

then

=((A2+B2)-(A1+B1))*24

will tell  you how many hours have elapsed.   Your example gives me 13.9 hrs

If you just want to see if they are on different days, you would just check if A1<>A2  or you could subtract the dates

=if(A2-A1)>0,True,False)

if neither of those help, then clarify the question.

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy