Excel/Using numbers as delimiters

Hi Garreth,

I have a large column of cells and need to separate the beginning text from the numbers coming after. For example:

ABC Company 1234 Place Ave Blank City AB 12345
Company 4567 blah blah St Big City CD 56789

How would I be able to just separate/extract the beginning text, aka the company names?

G'day Leor,

Apologies for the late reply to your question.

Assuming you text is in Cell "C4"

Please put this formula in Cell "C5" if it has "ABC Company 1234 Place Ave Blank City AB 12345"

=LEFT(C4,FIND(" ",C4,FIND(" ",C4,1)+1)-1)

Please put this formula in Cell "C5" if it has "Company 4567 blah blah St Big City CD 56789"

=LEFT(C4,FIND(" ",C4)-1)

This formulae will remove all text before the first set of numbers appear

Please advise if this helps you.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Anything relating to Excel formulae and VBA I can answer Unfortunately dont know COBOL

Over 15 years of VBA

Belong to no bodies purce but I help where I can

University of Cape Town (Computer Science Degree)