Excel/zero in front of #

Hello, have a very simple question, i am making a spreed sheet with number codes,  i need to have the number list show the number with a zero in front,  like 0402,  but no matter how i format the cell, it will not keep the zero as the first number.

Hi June,

You can make sure the cell keeps the zero by added an apostrophe (') before typing the zero.  For example, for 0402 type '0402.  

Also, if the numbers all have the same length, you can use a custom format:

I am not sure of which version of Excel you are using, but if it is 2003, please follow these steps:

1 - Right click on the cell (or column) and select Format Cells.
2 - Select Custom and the first zero (0) option.
3 - In the "Type:" box, type four zeroes (0000) and click OK.

I hope this helps!
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Jessica L.

I can provide answers for most Excel problems. I don`t mind answering even the simplest of questions.

I am a self taught Excel user and have been using Excel for about 12 years.