Excel/Check boxes in Excel 2010

We have a form in Excel 2010 for creating an "Expenditure Review Sheet".  In this form there are check boxes used to specify if the expense is a Budget Item or Non-Budget Item, if the expenditure is a Capital expense or a LOE expense, and if the expense is for the Exploratory or Development department. That is 6 total check boxes.  The people responsible for creating these review sheets copy and reuse them so they don't have to create a new one from scratch each time.  Alot of the expenditures are similar so they can minimize the typing required to fill out the form by copying them.  Some of these sheets have been copied over and over for many years.  It appears that everytime a sheet is copied the number of check boxes increases. They are just layered one on top of the next.  Why does that happen and how do I stop it?  Also, how do I clean one up if the number does increase without having to delete each check box individually?  I found one of these forms with over 3000 check boxes. If you need to see one of the forms, just let me know and I will e-mail one to you.  Thanks for your help.

I can't answer your why does this happen question because I wasn't the one doing the copying.

If I was going to copy a sheet, I would right click on the sheet tab and choose "Move or Copy", then in the dialog, click the check box for "Make a copy" and specify the proper location.  

I wouldn't expect this to produce any duplicate controls on the sheet.

To get rid of existing duplicate controls, I would probably use a macro.  

Manually, I would just delete all the checkboxes and then copy in a single one for each spot.  You can go to Find & Select on the right side of the home tab.  In the dropdown, choose select objects.  Then below that, click the selection pane.  Now you can select the boxes using the control key and clicking and then hit the delete key to delete the boxes you have selected.

But as I said, using a macro would be easier.  It would depend on if these checkboxes were the only objects on the sheet.

If you need clarification on this, you can contact me at

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.