Excel/embed video clips into Excel 2010 or 2013 cells

Is it possible to embed short video files into Excel 2013 (or 2010) cells, that will automatically play when that cell is clicked?  

The idea is to have worksheets that have several different issues or questions, with a corresponding short (10-60 seconds or so) video clip associated with each issue/question. When I tab into or click the adjacent corresponding "video cell" I want the video file to automatically play and then automatically stop. It should require a reclick to play again. The idea is to use it (for example) for educational purposes. Thank you.

Not really my expertise here, as this is not often asked. Playing around with it I came up with this macro. You need to embed the video into the worksheet cell (for each one to play(Insert/Object/Create from File), then right-click the object & assign it to this macro:

Sub playIt()
   Application.DisplayAlerts = False
   ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlNormal
   Application.SendKeys "%O"
   Selection.Verb Verb:=xlPrimary
   Application.SendKeys "%{tab}"
   ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized
End Sub

Good luck
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Bob Umlas

I`m a Microsoft Excel MVP (Most Valuable Professional) and have been since the inception of the program in 1995. I can answer every kind of Excel question except: API, Importing/exporting to other programs (powerpoint, word,...) Also check out my in-person training link at

Worked with MS Excel since version 0.99 (on the Mac!). Was contributing editor to Excellence Magazine, having written >300 articles. John Walkenbach said of me "I finally met someone who knows as much about Excel as I do."

Excellence, The Expert, Microsoft

BA in math, Hofstra University, 1965

Led sessions for the Convergence 2004-2006 seminar on Excel tips & tricks