Excel/formula issue

Hi Tom

I have written the following formula:

It produces the "#NAME?" error.  The name in BA13 is in the "indexdatabase" as is the column heading.  Both of them match exactly without spaces.

Have you any suggestions as to why this might be happening?

Thanks in advance

Chris Mitchell

that error would indicate that there is no named range named indexdatabase or there is no named range named ROW or there is no named range named columns.  I say that because INDEX, MATCH, BA13 and BF12 should all be legitimate.  Maybe columns doesn't have an "s" on it.  I can only guess, but that is what the #NAME error says to me.  Something in your formula is not recognized as being defined so Excel doesn't know what to do with it.

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.