Excel/vlookup issue

Hi Tom

I have an issue with a vlookup formula.  There is a number in a dell: "7.5"

I have rounded this number up to "8"

When I run this formula:

a blank is returned because it is seeing "7.5" instead of "8"

Is there any way around this?

Thanks in advance

Chris Mitchell

Christopher Mitchell,

You could be describing several different issues.

I will assume that cell AL2 has been formatted to show a whole number but it actually contains the number 7.5

I will assume that numbertolevels contains an 8 in the first column of that range

You could use a fourth argument in vlookup of True which should match the 7.5 to the 8 as long as 8 is the closest number above 7.5.  It also assumes your data in the lookup table is sorted ascending on the 1st oclumn of the lookup range

alternately you could do this

and use the round function to roundup the value stored in AL2.

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.