Excel/excel formula

Question
Dear Stuart,
I would like a cell to read Cents () as opposed to Dollars ($) so that if I enter 1.00 it will read ($   1.00) and if I enter .99 it will read (   .99)

Is this possible,

I am using EXCEL for MAC 2011, V 14.0.0

Dennis

Answer
Example: In cell a1 enter 3, and format as Accounting with $ and 2 decimal points, so that A1 appears as

$     3.00

Then select a range that includes A1. From Excel menu, choose Home, Conditional Formatting, New Rule, Format only cells that contain, Cell Value, less than, 1, Format, Number, Custom, Type: _(* #,##0.00_);_(* (#,##0.00);_(* "-"??_);_(@_), OK, OK.

Now if you change the value in A1 to less then 1.00 (e.g. .50), then A1 will appear as

0.50
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Stuart Resnick