Excel/Further re filtering

Question
Hi tom and thanks for your quick response.

To explain - lets say John appears in list no 5 and in list no 1, Andrew appears in list no 5 and list no 3, and Peter in list no 5 and list no 4. Sam appears in list 1 but NOT in list 5.

I need a function that will show all the people in list 5, but will also show their appearances in other lists.
So it will end up looking like

1 John
5 John
3 Andrew
5 Andrew
4 Peter
5 Peter

but Sam will not appear at all.

Thanks again,

Jeremy

Answer
Jeremy,

You could do this in several steps using an advanced filter.

The advanced filter requires a separate criteria area.  You would first filter on the list number using the copy option and output the list of people to a new location.

Then you would clear the filter and do a second filtering, but using the list of name produced by the first filtering as the criteria range for the second filtering.

the advanced filter is found under  under the Data tab in the sort & filter section.  It is the "advanced" button.

If you need more help than this, send a sample workbook to me at twogilvy@msn.com and tell me what you want to do and I will give you an example with a more detailed explanation.
--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy