Excel/Splitting time calculation

I am trying to resolve an issue involving time in excel with regards to time worked in a working week.

I am importing time in a HH:MM:SS format on a daily basis and summing this for 5 day to give a weekly total in the same format.

the way OT is paid is that if anyone has worked over 45 hours then any full hour will be paid and any minutes extra will be carried over and added to the following weeks total.

Any time under 45 hours not worked will be deducted from the following weeks total, therefore negating any OT the following week.

I have managed to workout how to carry any time not worked over and also managed to split the Muntes and hours over the 45 out using the MINUTE and HOUR formula buit the problem is the minutes are then in the wrong format to carry over to the following week ie number and not HH:MM.

Can you please help?

Time is stored as a fraction of a day.  

so 6 hours is 1 quarter of a day and is stored as  6/24 =   .25   
Likewise, minutes are stored the same way.  

So to get the minutes back to the time format you can do (assume a time value in cell A1 and you are using the minute function to extract the number of minutes):

24*60 being the number of minutes in a day.

so if the time was 10:30  and minute(10:30) produces 30,  then 30/(24*60) produces

if you put that in a cell and format the cell as hh:mm:ss it will display  00:30:00

I hope that is the information you needed

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.