Excel/copying formulas in a "non-standard" way

Question
Excel Question 12-11-13.jpg
Excel Question 12-11-1  
Tom,

I'm using Excel 2003 with Windows XP3.
(I wasn't sure how to categorize my question in the "subject" area.)

It's easy to copy formulas in a column when the cells being referenced are listed in another column with no spaces between them.  We can just drag a formula down to adjacent rows below it and Excel adjusts each formula "intelligently" (if we use relative cell references).  But can a formula be created to display the contents of non-adjacent cells?

Iíve been doing it the clunky way, one formula at a time and I wondered if a formula could be created to access cells spaced 12 rows apart (as shown in my example).

It's awkward trying to describe my question, so I'm attaching a snapshot showing a simplified version of what I'm trying to do.

Thank you for your time,
Joe

Answer
Joe,

Basically what you want to do is calculate the address to grab the cells from.

So if I put =A1 in B2, then drag fill it, in B3 it will be =A2
so instead of =A1 in B2 I will put =row(A1) and then

B2: 1
B3: 2
B3: 3

I change that to
B2:  =(ROW(A1)-1)*12

and drag that down and I get  (next to it I show what I want)
B2:  0         2
B3:  12        14
B4:  24        26
B5:  36        38

So I just need to add 2 to the formula and drag fill
B2: =(ROW(A1)-1)*12+2

and that give me what I want in terms of identifying the row.  To turn that into a cell Address I use the Address function.  So now I do
B2:  =ADDRESS((ROW(A1)-1)*12+2,1)
and drag fill  (the second argument of the Address function, the 1, means column 1/column A)

and I get
B2:  $A$2
B3:  $A$14
B4:  $A$26
B5:  $A$38

Now I just need to convert those cell addresses to cell references so the value in those cells is returned to the cell with the formula (B2, B3, etc).  The Indirect function will do that:

B2:  =INDIRECT(ADDRESS((ROW(A1)-1)*12+2,1))
and drag fill and I get the results from the cells you show.  

B2: ALXN
B3: CMG
B4: KORS
B5: LVS

--
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy