Excel/COUNTIF formula not working

I'm using Excel 2003.

I have 2 COUNTIF formulas in adjacent cells. They are referencing named ranges on two separate worksheets. The first formula works fine, the second always returns "0", when there are values it should be counting. I cannot determine why the second COUNTIF formula is not working.

I tried sorting the data in order by the range, but it had no impact.

Formula that is working:

Address is a named range on another worksheet

Formula that is not working:

X_Tenant_Address is a named range on another worksheet (different worksheet than where "Address" resides)

Thank you!!

it sounds like the problem lies with your data.  there is nothing wrong with the situation you describe and the formulas you show.  Best I can do is offer to look at the file.

If you want me to look at your file, then send it to

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.