Excel/Excel Find Changes

Hello - I am using excel 2007.  I have one single worksheet with Unique Item ID, Price Effective Date and Price.  I want to sort by the Unique Item ID and by the Price Effective Date and find when the Price for a Unique Item ID has changed. The same item with the same Unique Item ID may be listed several times.  Am providing sample data with the changes I am hoping to find below.

Unique Item ID   Date   Price   
1234   1/1/2013   10.5   
1234   2/3/2013   11.24   Change
1234   6/1/2013   11.24   
1234   6/30/2013   10.5   Change
6789   2/1/2013   8.75   
6789   4/15/2013   8.75   
6789   5/5/2013   8.91   Change
6789   5/5/2013   8.91   

I have not been able to find a solution when the data is all in one worksheet.  I cannot split into two worksheets as there is no pattern for when the Price Effective date changes. Any help would be much appreciated. I do not use VBA, hoping there can be a solution without this, but would like to hear if you think this is the only solution.  Thank you

I assume you are not asking how to sort the data as you show it sorted.  

so assume 10.5 in your example data above is in C2

in D3 put this formula

then drag fill this down column D

If that doesn't answer your question (or that doesn't work), send a sample workbook to

and provide more details about what your question is.

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.