Excel/Excel Problem

Hi Damon,
  I'm working with excel and I could hardly solve this problem I encountered. I' in sheet 1 and whatever I put/do on row 45 is being carried/copied to sheet 2,3,4 and so on of the same row.
 What have I done? What could I do to solve this. Hope my question will be given priority and the most helpful answer.

Thanks and God Bless!

Hi Jean,

I apologize for my long delay in answering. A recent death in my family has taken me away from AllExperts for several weeks.

I believe your problem is that you accidentally got Excel into the 3-D editing mode. 3-D editing happens when you have multiple worksheets selected at the same time. You can select multiple worksheets by holding down the Ctrl or Shift key as you select sheets.  There are other ways as well, but holding down the Shift key is the most common way people inadvertently get into the 3-D editing mode.

In 3-D editing mode any changes you make to the active worksheet will automatically be made to all the other selected worksheet.  This includes cutting and pasting rows and columns, formatting changes, entering values and formulas in cells, etc.  This is actually quite a useful feature when you want it, but quite irritating when you don't as you have apparently discovered.  To turn off 3-D editing simply click on one of the tabs WITHOUT holding down the Ctrl or Shift key.

I hope this helps and is not too late to be useful.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Damon Ostrander

I have extensive experience with VBA programming in Excel 5 through Excel 2013. As a former aerospace engineer with a large aerospace corporation and consultant in a small defense technology services company, I have developed a wide range of applications in VBA, including simulations involving mixed-language programming, satellite orbit mechanics, graphics and animation, and real-time applications. I am interested in moderate to hard VBA-related questions only.

I have developed and taught several courses in Excel VBA programming and also VBA programming in Office 97, 2000, and 2007. I have developed a number of large technical applications in Excel VBA for use within the aerospace industry.

B.S. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of California, Berkeley.