Hi, need your advise on this

1. for example, cell B3 has a value and i want to enter a formula in Cell E4. the formula should be like this --> IF B3 is a number less than zero, E4 will show will show whichever negative value of B3 (since is less than zero), but IF B3 is a number that is more than zero (1 and above), B3 will show "blank".

2. is there any other formula besides using UDF to support more than 7 IF statement. I want to insert a formula such that when i enter an alphabet or words in cell "B1" i will get another value that i set in cell "B2". for example, in B1 i will type "manager", B2 will reflect "level 3". i do not want to put a table in the same spreadsheet as well, so vlookup is out too.

hope you can help me on these

Hello Chin,

I apologize for my long delay in answering. A death in my family took me away from AllExperts for several weeks.

In answer to your first question you can use the formula:

This assumes that if the value in B3 is exactly zero you would like it treated as a positive number and display a blank.  If you would prefer the zero to be displayed, use the formula

In answer to your second question, I am not aware of any way to get more than 7 levels of IF functions into a cell formula without a UDF.  I would like to point out, though, that you can use VLOOKUP with a table that is not located on the same spreadsheet, and in fact the table can be located in a hidden spreadsheet if the visibility of the table is an issue.

I hope you find this helpful and not too late to be of value.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Damon Ostrander

I have extensive experience with VBA programming in Excel 5 through Excel 2013. As a former aerospace engineer with a large aerospace corporation and consultant in a small defense technology services company, I have developed a wide range of applications in VBA, including simulations involving mixed-language programming, satellite orbit mechanics, graphics and animation, and real-time applications. I am interested in moderate to hard VBA-related questions only.

I have developed and taught several courses in Excel VBA programming and also VBA programming in Office 97, 2000, and 2007. I have developed a number of large technical applications in Excel VBA for use within the aerospace industry.

B.S. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of California, Berkeley.