Excel/Formula to calc. number of missing days

Question
Hi. Aiden,

I monitor the daily energy used (kwh)through out the year.
I need a formula to calculate the number of days between two dates within a column of consecutive dates say 1-Jan-12 to 31-Dec-12.
On occasions there is no corresponding data attached to some of the dates i.e. say 19-Feb-12 to 5-Mar-12 and 10-Mar-12 to 12-Mar-12 (there are varying periods 2days,5days 15days etc.)
The resulting figure from the formula are is to calculate an average for the missed periods.

Hope you can help.

John

Answer
If it is literally the DAYS you want then its simply last day minus first day - as excel stores dates as serial numbers.

Not sure if this gives you what you need - if it doesn't it's possible that seeing a sample sheet might help, my direct email is aidan.heritage@virgin.net
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Aidan Heritage