Excel/List files within folder into excel

I know I asked you this before, but it was in another job and I can't for the life of me find your answer.  I need to list all the files in a folder in excel. I know it was a simple DOS command. The path to the folders is C:\Users\Francyn\Documents\Paul Work\2013-12-09 Battery\CHL_BATTERY-EDITED-SET100.  In this folder is a set of subfolders with .JPG files in it. I just need to have a list of the files, with or without subfolders.

I know it was simple but I just can't find your answer to me. It was at another job, probably  but I don't work there anymore.

No problem - I've linked to the original answer and copied the text to save you following the link (!)
Excel prior to version 2007 can use the FileSystemObject - which means you can use VBA to do a search for files - which could be written to then copy files to a folder.  Since 2007, this very useful feature has been removed, and I've not found a suitable alternative (yet!).  It would certainly be possible to run a series of searches via DOS - though POSSIBLY the quickest way would be to do a DIR listing for all jpg files - from memory, dir *.jpg /s >c:\temp\JPG_Files.text would be the style of command line to run - this would creat a text file which could then be opened in excel and "stitched" together such that you get the file name in one column and the location in another - you could then use the search function (perhaps) to get the matches?

More than happy to help further in any way I can

Direct email if it helps is
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!