Excel/Protecting Formula

Question
Hi Aidan,

I think we have corresponded in the past when you have helped me solve some problems.

We have a spreadsheet that several people use, it is not "mine" so I am not allowed to lock it up or restrict it as it ought to be.

From time to time some of the formulas need to be changed, unfortunately it could be any one of five or six people who change it.  As you can imagine this can (nearly always) causes problems.  People try something that doesn't work, try another thing that did and move on, but there is "never" a record of what has been changed or why, I am guilty of it also, this to me is very very dangerous.

My question is, perhaps using a macro, is there any way, when anyone tries to alter the actual formula, the macro writes (somewhere like a text file or a "changes" sheet) the date, the original formula, the new formula and forces encourages the user to give a reason for the change, ie, Rate Change.

I know it is not ideal but it may ease the problem if there is at least some sort of record, even if it is only the date and a before & after formula.

Thank you for your consideration.

Keith

Answer
You can possibly use the Track Changes option as a relatively easy solution.  Alternatively, something like the solution at http://vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=1074 could be used - in that example, it tracks to another sheet, but it could easily be to a text file.

I hope this helps - sorry for the delay in replying.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Aidan Heritage