Excel/Simple Decimal Ages in Excel

Ages Worksheet
Ages Worksheet  
Platform: Mac (2 machines)
OS: 10.5.8  and 10.9.1
Software: LibreOffice & NeoOffice's version of "Excel"
Assumption: that Excel formulas will work with the Neo/LibreOffice's version of Excel

My girlfriend and I write stories together and would like to have the tedious task of our Ages Worksheet be made more streamline. We've been making tables in the word processing program but feel that maybe the use of the spreadsheet ("exel-like") program might be better AND automatic.

We like to have the character ages be represented in decimals.
Let's say that the chapter we're on takes place in March 1958, we want to quickly look at our chart to see that "Kade" 28.5 (or 28 years and 5 months) and his 1/2 brother Riley is 15.11 (or 15 years and 11 months) but on their next birthdays it should read as 29 and 16. Although 29.0 and 16.0 would be acceptable. Sometimes the years we work in are in the past or future - so formulas using "today" cannot be used.

Attached is a screen capture of the word processing document that we manually fill in for each character, including secondary characters.

Is there ANY way to duplicate what we can do manually in a table to what can be done in excel?

We are not very fluent in Excel / Spreadsheets - so breaking down things to it's simplest forms will be most appreciated :-)

Thank you ever so much for your time and patience.

Not trivial solution. Also, I can't tell the YEAR of the DOB in your diagram. If the first date is in cell A2, and the year you're looking at is in cell B2 (like 1958), then you need to do this: In cell C1 (it will contain "Jan") enter 1/1 (year is irrelevant - just leave it off). Then press ctrl/1, select a category of "Custom", then select mmm. Enter this. Then click on C1, hold the right-mouse down and drag the little black square in the bottom of the selection out to cell N1. When you let go of the mouse, you will see several options. Choose "Fill Months". OK, now you have the months set up.
In cell C2, enter this formula:
Then Copy C2, and paste it into D2:N2 and you're done.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Bob Umlas

I`m a Microsoft Excel MVP (Most Valuable Professional) and have been since the inception of the program in 1995. I can answer every kind of Excel question except: API, Importing/exporting to other programs (powerpoint, word,...) Also check out my in-person training link at

Worked with MS Excel since version 0.99 (on the Mac!). Was contributing editor to Excellence Magazine, having written >300 articles. John Walkenbach said of me "I finally met someone who knows as much about Excel as I do."

Excellence, The Expert, Microsoft

BA in math, Hofstra University, 1965

Led sessions for the Convergence 2004-2006 seminar on Excel tips & tricks